Washington, DC – June 23, 2022 – Healthgrades released the hospitals that received its 2022 Outstanding Patient Experience Award on June 21, and 55 of the 399 recognized hospitals were physician-led hospitals. Nationally, physician-led hospitals make up less than 5 percent of the nation’s total number of hospitals.
- In Texas, over half (13) of the 24 total recipients of the award are physician-led hospitals, even though physician-led hospitals make up less than 15 percent of the hospitals in Texas.
- In Pennsylvania, 21 percent of the hospitals named to this distinguished Healthgrades list were physician-led hospitals although they only represent 1.5 percent of all hospitals in the commonwealth. Every physician-led hospital in PA made the list.
- In Arizona, two of the three hospitals awarded are physician-led hospitals.
- Of the 109 hospitals in Arkansas, the one recipient of the award is a physician-led hospital.
- Half of the hospitals selected in Oklahoma are physician-led hospitals.
“It’s not surprising that physician-led hospitals outperformed this important patient experience award,” said Frederic Liss, MD, the president of Physician-Led Healthcare for America (PHA). “Our hospitals place an emphasis on the patient-physician relationship and are driven by value-based care models and transparency. Physician-led hospitals consistently outperform their competitors on patient satisfaction, quality of care and cost ratings.”
The annual award is based on an analysis of 3,173 hospitals that submitted at least 75 patient experience surveys to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services between July 2020 and March 2021. The scoring methodology applies to 10 patient experience measures, including physician and nurse communication, medication and post-discharge care instructions, hospital cleanliness and whether a patient would recommend the hospital to family or friends. Healthgrades excluded hospitals that were in the bottom 20 percent for overall quality.
Click here to view the full list of recipients.
PHA encourages Congress to pass the Patient Access to Quality Healthcare Act (S. 4130 by Sen. James Lankford, R-OK, and H.R. 1330 by Rep. Michael Burgess, R-TX). The bill would repeal the Affordable Care Act’s anti-competitive ban that prevents grandfathered physician-owned hospitals from expanding to meet their community healthcare needs.
About Physician-Led Healthcare for America
Founded in 2001, Physician-Led Healthcare for America serves as the stakeholder voice for physician-led hospitals and other physician-led entities that focus on the patient-physician relationship.
Visit www.physicianled.us to learn more.